Apologetics is Easy!

 Apologetics is a defence of the faith. It is Christians reassuring themselves that their beliefs are true.

How do they do that? Simple:

  • Christianity is true (as all Christians agree)
  • Therefore Christianity is true

Hmm, looking... well a little circular. So dress it up!

  • Christianity is true (as all Christians agree)
  • Therefore the verses in the Bible are true
  • The Bible says this, this and this
  • Therefore some claim or another is true
  • Therefore Christianity is true

Hmm, still looks a little circular. Okay, we all agree Christianity is true (well, all Christians do) so skip the first two lines.

  • The Bible says this, this and this
  • Therefore some claim or another is true
  • Therefore Christianity is true

And that is all there is to it.

Of course, it is still circulate, but to a Christians it does not appear circular because they just "know" the unspoken assumptions are true. And if you dare to point out that their arguments are circular, they will just tell you it is up to you to disprove Christianity.

Some recent examples here and here (see also the comments in the second).


I recently came across some excerpts of an apologetics book by Gary Habermas. From it:

I have come to these issues from an intensely personal perspective. I questioned my own faith for ten straight years, then off and on for perhaps another five years. It got to the point where these matters were the predominant thoughts in my mind. They were the last thing I contemplated when I crawled, exhausted, into bed. They were the first items to greet me when I rose in the morning: ‘Where did I leave off the night before?’ I hated (This may still not be a strong enough term!) my doubts with every fiber of my being. I wondered if I would ever overcome them, or if it was even possible to do so.

There we have it. Christians hate doubt. This is why they do not look behind the facade. This is why they build the facade. Apologetics is not about finding the truth, it is about banishing those hateful doubts. The way to do that is to look at the facade, to glorify the facade, to re-inforce the facade.

And never look behind it; the truth might not be what you so desperately hope it to be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Baptist Convention Position on Abortion

Kent Hovind: Third wife in three years?

Hinman's "Argument From Transcendental Signifier"